Data Collection for Vehicle-Camera Calibration (deprecated)
Checkerboard is the calibration target. A large checkerboard is required because the external camera is usually quite far away. For small vehicles (car), the minimum checkerboard size is 0.6m^2. For large vehicles (e.g. farm tractor), the minimum checkerboard size is 2.4m^2 because the camera is further away. If you are calibrating a small vehicle, you can print the attached pdf file on a foam board at 1.0m x 0.6m. Most print shops can print this.
For car wheels either the Aruco markers can be used or the sechhi disk can be used.
6. In the case of AruCo markers, the labels representing marker wheel relation is present on top of every page.
Data collection for left view set-up:
1. Place the checkerboard in the field of view of the mounted camera. And freeze the position of the checkerboard.
2. The Mounted camera should take a single frame by having the checkerboard in its frame.
3. External cameras should take a single frame by having the checkerboard and both the left wheel tyres of the car.
4. Now the external camera can be placed at a different angle and another frame must be taken.
Example for AruCo tag:
5. A minimum of 2 images are required, but any number of images can be added.
The same above steps must be repeated for the right view set up as well.